Popular vote loser Donald Trump and his administration have a knack for stating the complete opposite of the truth and passing it off as fact.
For example, Vice President Mike Pence just claimed in an interview that the US Intelligence community has ruled out the possibility that Russia interfered in the 2016 election of Donald Trump.
“Irrespective of efforts that were made in 2016 by foreign powers, it is the universal conclusion of our intelligence communities that none of those efforts had any impact on the outcome of the 2016 election,” Pence told Axios on Wednesday.
In reality, where the rest of us live, they’ve pretty much ruled the exact opposite is true, with ample evidence suggesting, or even proving, that Russian interference helped Trump and hurt his opponent, Hillary Clinton. Axios explains:
What they know
- U.S. intelligence chiefs have determined that Russia tried to meddle in the election.
- Yesterday, during a hearing on world threats, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats even said Russia believes their efforts were successful, and sees the 2018 midterms as another potential target.
- Department of Homeland Security officials said in September that 21 states had been targeted by Russian government hackers during the campaign, and some successfully infiltrated their elections systems, but said there was no evidence of any voting machines being affected.
What they don’t know
- According to a joint assessment on Russian interference released in January: “We did not make an assessment of the impact that Russian activities had on the outcome of the 2016 election. The US Intelligence Community is charged with monitoring and assessing the intentions, capabilities, and actions of foreign actors; it does not analyze US political processes or US public opinion.”
- That statement means not only have U.S. intel leaders not reached a conclusion on whether the outcome of the election was impacted, but it is not in their authority to analyze political processes.
So in fairness to Pence, the conclusions haven’t been made yet. But that is still a far cry from them determining and stating that there was no Russian interference. Join us in reality, Mike.