Popular vote loser Donald Trump is allegedly very happy with the news that FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is “stepping down” three months before his scheduled retirement. McCabe more likely was pressured to the breaking point to step aside early by Trump and his supporters, in the midst of allegations of McCabe’s anti-Trump bias.
The move may embolden Trump to fire Rod Rosenstein and even more importantly, Robert Mueller, and more or less end the Russia investigation. As Scott Dworkin at the Democratic Coalition explains, this is all the more reason Congress needs to act to protect Mueller:
Trump has a long history of dislike for McCabe, stemming from his wife’s unsuccessful Virginia Senate run in 2015. CNN explains:
In 2015, McCabe’s wife, ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the Virginia state senate. A PAC affiliated with then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe moved almost $500,000 to her campaign, which was more than enough for Trump to start conspiracy theory against McCabe:
- “Problem is that the acting head of the FBI & the person in charge of the Hillary investigation, Andrew McCabe, got $700,000 from H for wife!,” tweeted Trump on July 25.
- The following day, he tweeted this: “Why didn’t A.G. Sessions replace Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a Comey friend who was in charge of Clinton investigation but got big dollars ($700,000) for his wife’s political run from Hillary Clinton and her representatives. Drain the Swamp!”
- Two days before Christmas last year, Trump was back at it. “How can FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, the man in charge, along with leakin’ James Comey, of the Phony Hillary Clinton investigation (including her 33,000 illegally deleted emails) be given $700,000 for wife’s campaign by Clinton Puppets during investigation?” he tweeted.
- Trump wasn’t done. “FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is racing the clock to retire with full benefits. 90 days to go?!!!” he tweeted later on December 23.
- Finally, on Christmas Eve, Trump quoted Fox News Channel on McCabe: “[email protected]’s Andrew McCabe, ‘in addition to his wife getting all of this money from M (Clinton Puppet), he was using, allegedly, his FBI Official Email Account to promote her campaign. You obviously cannot do this. These were the people who were investigating Hillary Clinton.'”
Aside from the obviously crazy conspiracy theory-like brain our President possesses, this report shows that Trump has always clearly had it out for McCabe.
You are watching the not-so-slow eroding of our democracy right before your very eyes. Congress must act to protect Mueller from Trump’s actions, and soon.